Monday, January 5, 2009

Roasted treats for winter!


In this cold weather,roasted vegetables are real blessings.You get lots of fresh winter vegetables during this time ,like carrots,cauliflower ,turnips ,beets etc.



I went to market yesterday and bought these lovely purple topped turnips.I wanted to relish its flavour on its own .I can't consume it raw.I'm not interested in dropping that in sambar or in any curry either.So i decided to roast them with carrots,garlic and onions.The roasted onions and garlics are so appetising.The golden browning on the vegetables is something irresistible.
Similarly,i also made roasted potatoes.They are an all time favourite for everyone at home.Consumes less than a tbsp of oil.But tastes like french chips.The price for this low calorie,delicious potatoes would be our patience.Yeah..it takes atleast 45 mins to get this golden crust on it.We can prepare everything and pop into the oven and arrange our wrecked bookshelf and return,by that time it would be done.
Today one of my friend complained to me that he can't try all the recipes I post here.He doesn't own an oven and so can't make those dishes which involves baking.But don't lose hope.One can try this in an iron Kadai.
Although it doesn't gives the oven roasted taste,its good in kadai style too and we can name it 'Kadai vegetables' :)
Okay now let me show you how I made ..

For Roasted Potatoes:




I took 1/2 kg of good potatoes.Washed,peeled and cubed them.




I brought water to rolling boil in a large cooking vessel.Added generous salt.Dropped the potatoes in it.Cooked exactly for 8 mins.




Drained the water.Covered the vessel with a plate.And gave a gentle shake.This gives a rustic look to potato chunks.




Added a tbsp of olive oil(any oil can be used)..Sprinkled freshly ground pepper and 1/2 tsp of dried thyme.Gave a nice toss.




Place in a baking tray.Baked in a 250 C preheated oven for 45 mins.(Give a toss once or twice inbetween while baking..this ensures even browning on all sides)
Serve hot.

For Roasted Turnips:



I roughly chopped one big carrot into bite sizedc hunks.And cut 3 turnips into wedges.Quartered few onions.Peeled the skin of garlic cloves.I used one head of garlic




Tossed with 1 tbsp of olive oil,salt,ground pepper ,dried thyme and oregano.



Transferred it on a baking tray.Placed few blobs of butter on the top of the veggies.Baked in a 250 C preheated oven for 1 hour.



Finish it before it gets cold ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment