Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gyoza-Japanese dumplings



I had been away from cooking and blogging for a long time.There are so many things that kept me away from you all.The summer is at its peak now so I hate to be in the kitchen.Lately,I got assigned myself to various jobs so I'm kinda busy these days.For the next few weeks,I will be travelling a lot for my admission proceedings and so I will not be able to catch up with you buddies regularly.
This is my first attempt in  Japanese cooking.I researched a lot in the internet for a vegeterian Japanese recipe.Finally,I settled with 'Gyoza'-a japanese style pot-stickers..Its actually called 'Jiaozi' in China and 'Mandu' in Korea.For the filling,I made a simple cabbage stir fry with sesame seeds.Since this is my first attempt,I made only a small batch.




You will need :

For the gyoza sheets,
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup warm water

For the filling,
1/2 cup chopped cabbage
1/2 cup onion
1/4 tsp chopped ginger
1/4 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp chilli vineger
1 tsp sesame seeds
salt
pepper

For the dipping sauce,
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp chopped green onions



Mix the flour and water using the chop sticks.When it comes together as dough,knead well for 5 mins or until its smooth and elastic.Cover it with a damp cloth and let it sit for about 30 mins.



Heat oil in a pan,fry onion,ginger and garlic till transculent.Add cabbage and fry for a min.Add the rest of the seasonings and mix well.Allow to cool.



Roll the dough to a thick log and cut into 1 inch equal portions.Roll each portion into a thin,uniform,circular discs.



Take a rolled out disc and place a spoonful of the filling in the center.



Fold them like a semi-circle and press it gently on the center.



Pleat the edges as shown in the picture.
Repeat it with the rest of the sheets and filling.




In a pan,heat a tsp of sesame oil and place the dumplings without overlapping them.Let it brown a bit.Flip it and pour 1/2 cup of water and cover immediately.Allow it to cook until the dumpling looks shiny and cooked.

Mix all the ingredients under the dipping sauce.Serve this sauce for the dumplings.




I liked the dumplings with this sesame flavored cabbage filling.But I can't handle the sauce.. I would rather prefer these dumplings with tomato sauce.



This goes to AWED-JAPANESE guest hosted by Lavi of HomeCookRecipes and intiated by DK of CulinaryBazzar.


65 comments:

  1. Dont know much about Japanese dishes.Those dumplings are looking delicious madhu..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dumplings look great! I liked the way you shaped them! It's easy to make those! Wonderful entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Madhu, simply amazing...its looks like chinese wontons dumplings....am ready to taste..Shall I??

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks awsome.....I wld love to indulge in them Madhu :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely entry! The folding of the dumpling step makes it look easier than just reading the recipe and imagining it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow madhu....loved the folding of these dumplings...it is looking great..

    ReplyDelete
  7. new to me..looks very nice madhu..yumy: )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome Madhoo..They are cute and yummy..
    Btw,enjoy what you do and have a great time ahead..!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gyoza looks yummy. The filling is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have never tried any japanese dish at home...Dumplings looks yummy madhu...nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi

    This is awesome, i tried out, but unable to get dumpling as in picture, but taste was yummy,

    Thank u.
    Anju

    ReplyDelete
  12. interestin,..
    all the ebst for ur job search,.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yumm yummm, my husband is very fond of japanese food (he loves sashimi especially), the rest of us (my teddies and myself) love the poultry grilled specialities;I've never tried this one, will do that for my beloved :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually make a mixed veggie stuffing and call them pot stickers.. Looks great madhu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a dumpling fan but my hubby lov it,will show ur recipe..yday he made chineese wonton..i liked the shape u made diff than other dumplings..

    ReplyDelete
  16. You inspire me to do more Japanese cooking. I adore dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dumpling with cabbage is just awesome! U shaped it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dumpling looks great. Nice step by step presentation:).

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are very cute! I love love love dumplings and normally get them frozen from the asian store. Time to make some of my own! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. dumplings are looking very nice and I love the dipping sauce too... Slurrp I wish I could grab oen now...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Something new! These do look & sound like what we used to eat back in Kolkata... called Momos.. they were Tibetian. I love them;-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats quite innovative one Madhu..looks really good..:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. something different...., it looks very nice madhu, the photos are a very good explanation as well, and the clicks are grt too...,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dont knw much abt Japanese dishes....But u need a applause for trying these innovative items!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks lovely...new to me..nice try

    ReplyDelete
  26. I could have those every day and not get tired of them. I never thought to make the dough for the outside, I always buy premade, but how easy is that?

    Thanks for posting the recipe, I will be making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous recipe! I love all of the ingredients you used, these dumplings look so so good I would love to bite into one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good one Madhu.smart decision to make few for the first time.Looks very authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. awesome recipe....and snap is just superb.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great that u made these from scratch!Good luck with ur admission!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! that looks amazing. Nice click. The shape of the dumpling r perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice madhu,I have tried ur dish, its taste was gud but i cant shape it like yours.. Its looking you are perparing yourself for japan...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi... i am a new blogger...
    really yummy recipe.. looks great.. gud job!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really a very innnovative dish..nice entry..clear step by step pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love international cooking. The shape of the dumpling are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow this is a perfect dish.. Love its look and feel. Great job :)

    Here for the first time and totally fallen for your pics and dishes. Will keep visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Woww... Looks very tempting.. Nice clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You go girl! These look so scrumptious better than any Japanese restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh my! i am in awe! fab recipe. i will try this for sure. u r so talented madhu!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey Madhumati ...How could i miss this Post .:(.soo soryy for the late comment ..Hey This one is new recipe to me never tested ...Thanks for sharing ..Pics r awsome

    ReplyDelete
  41. Japanese 'kozhikattai' !
    lol :0

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mmm japanese dumplings look perfect madhu. Do check my blog for my FIL - 3 event. Expecting some entries from you!

    ReplyDelete
  43. good to see u bk Madhu. wishing u gd luck in ur new venture :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. i am back my love. and i am floored with this dumpling. i pledge to make it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yummy click and sounds delicious.Drop in sometime to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. You are missed. Hope you share your delicious recipes with your readers again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  47. woo this is too simple and elegant..looks kool madhu...

    ReplyDelete
  48. Dumplings looks great. U made it very simple. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. That was a wonderful Japanese dish!

    ReplyDelete
  50. you have a nice blog you can visit my blog view my recipes and give u comments.

    ReplyDelete
  51. nice recipe..delicious...please do participate in my first cooked food event in my blog

    ReplyDelete
  52. Since this is not boiled or steamed Jiaozi, adding some chives is also a good option, i guess i tried this in one of koerean hotels in chennai.

    Thanks, Dipping sause (soya, vineger, pepper oil) went good with this.

    BTW i am Vignesh's brother.

    ReplyDelete
  53. you have a grt bog, first time in here:)

    ReplyDelete
  54. hi madhu me anshu.hw r u these days. u never replied me. i wanna be ur frnd. u r really so sweet dear. we can be nice frnds if u want. i dnt knw much english so pls dnt laugh on me for my mistakes.pls reply me soon waiting for ur reply

    ReplyDelete
  55. these look so pretty! I may just have to try them :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh my my, this looks fabulous and a lovely recipe too:) Its been a while...how are you?

    ReplyDelete
  57. wow these dumplings look delicious, never tried making!

    ReplyDelete