Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hummus



Happy New year all!
There isn't much going on in my blog ever since I left India. This new life here wasn't helping me much to indulge in trying out new recipes and rejoicing them. I hope I'am kind of accustomed now and believe I would be able to post often. I don't want to make it as a new year resolution and not sticking to it! So lets see how much improvement I can bring about to this blog in the coming days.
Recently ,I bought a Dslr camera 'Canon rebel t2i' and I'am totally loving it.I had a chance to visit New York and Florida for my Christmas vacation and had super fun with the camera there. 

I was surprised to receive a gift from my friends Preeti and Mohan. It's one of the most appreciated gifts I have ever received. Its a Vegetarian cookbook by Carla Bardi which has an interesting collection of recipes.


To start of with, I tried out the hummus dip featured in the cookbook.
I know this dip isn't much of a work, but I haven't tried making it in home all these days. So here I come with Hummus..

Ingredients:

1 16 oz can of Chickpeas(garbanzo beans)
1 tablespoon Tahini sauce
1/2 lemon ,squeezed
1 clove of Garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water
Salt
Paprika
Cumin powder
Dried mint leaves

Procedure:
  • Wash the chickpeas twice to get rid of the sodium in it.
  • Put them in a blender along with tahini sauce, lemon juice, garlic and salt
  • Blend the mixture smooth by adding water.
  • When the blender is running, tip in 2 tbsp of olive oil.
  • Once the mixture is smooth transfer in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
  • Sprinkle paprika, cumin powder and dried mint leaves.
P.S You can also use dried chickpeas by soaking overnight and pressure cooking them the next morning. This would give a better quality hummus when compared to the easy method I have used.

I had the hummus with Pita bread and also tried with Indian Khakra( a crispy flatbread )

5 comments: