Thursday, December 11, 2008

Karthigai Deepam,Rawa Pongal and Coconut Chutney !



Today is the festival of lights-Karthigai Deepa Thirunaal.It is predominantly celebrated in Tamil Nadu for the auspicous star Kirthigai's ascension.Like others,we too lit many little beautiful lamps in the clay diyas,which we lined on our compound walls and decorated the lovely 'Kolams' with diyas.We made a pooja with the lip-smacking 'Pori Urundais'(Puffed Rice Ladoos) .
In some  homes,it is in practice to make 'Kothumai(Wheat) Appam ,Ulundhu(Urad Dal) Vadai and Kadalai Urundai'(Peanut Ladoos).But we usually celebrate Karthigai with just Pori Urundais.The tiny bits of coconut is what I love the most about Pori Urundais.As my grandma is away and my mom is busy, my mom's sister made these urundais for this Karthigai and sent us some.It was the one of the perfect Pori Urundais which I can't stop eating .They were in good shape and I wanted to capture the beauty of these lovely delicacy.I never tried making this,someday I have to !
I felt a pang deep in my heart that,I didn't made anything for this Karthigai.So to overcome the grief ,I declared to my family members that I will make the dinner.

I made 'Rawa Pongal' and 'Coconut Chutney'.Its very simple and comforting.We always use rice to make Pongal.But Rawa Pongal is quicker to prepare and also tastes like restaurant pongal.
Here is the recipe...


You will need :

1 cup Semolina(Rawa)

1/4 cup Green gram dhal (dehusked and splited)

10 Cashew nuts (chopped)

1 tsp Pepper

1 tsp Cumin seeds

1 sprig Curry leaves

1 inch Ginger (grated)

2 tbsp oil

2 tbsp ghee



Wash the dal and boil the dal in 1 1/2 cups of water.To make this boiling process quicker you can pressure cook it.



The dal must be well cooked as shown in the picture.Boil 4 cups of water.Add salt and 1 tbsp of ghee to the boiling water.Stir and pour the boiling water over the dal.Add the semolina and stir it constantly.Keep the heat in low.



The semolina will absorb all the moisture.And the pongal will look like this.
Turn off the heat.



For the tempering,heat 2 tbsp of oil and add pepper,cumin seeds ,ginger,curry leaves,cashews and fry until they are roasted well.
Throw this over the pongal and stir well.Add the remaining ghee and serve.

For the Coconut Chutney:

1 cup of coconut pieces

2 tbsp of roasted chana dal(Pottu Kadalai)

1 tsp salt

1 green chilly

2 tbsp of tamarind juice /1 tsp of tamarind paste

For Tempering,

1 tsp oil

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 tsp Chana dal & urad dal

1 sprig of Curry leaves

A pinch of Asafotedia



Put all the ingredients in a mixer,add 1/4 cup of water and grind to a smooth paste. 



Heat oil,add all the ingredients of tempering one by one and when the seeds splutter.Pour it over the Coconut Chutney with the oil.Stir and serve.




Rawa Pongal and Coconut Chutney is ready to devour :)

No comments:

Post a Comment