Friday, February 20, 2009

Cauliflower Kurma/Korma and a poem...


ELIXIRS OF KITCHEN
  --------------------------

The humid, summer evening sapped my vigor
impelling my kitchen wares to be geared
There I ingressed the larder to cook my repast
and my hunger from now would hardly last..

Spices, oil, vegetables and sauces
kitchen wares of steel, ceramic and glasses
Friends and neighbours gathered in mass
to heedfully look at my cooking process..

Onion, tomato, garlic and pepper
adumbrating an unrivaled soup as an appetizer
Croutons of bread, cheese and butter
aggravating its sapidity into a wonder..

Flour, milk, salt and yeast
auspicating a mouth watery pizza as feast
Aroma of tomatoes, cheese and onion topping
made my kitchen an resistless stopping..

At last, time to go for the terminating touch
deeply seeks my mind a surmounting match
Finally I cottoned on to a cup of romantic hot chocolate 
not to elide the empyrean cresting of marshmallows..

                                                                                       --- Shravan

Yesterday, when I opened my inbox there was a lovely gift from my very good friend and classmate Shravan Kumar.Yeah,the above poem which you have read is written by him and sent to me as a gift.I became speechless.His poetic talent is something incredible…During our college days,he used to write b'ful poems and novels and take part in many competitions .I must not forget to say that he is soo much interested in cooking as well  and will never hesitate to try any new recipes.He tries out many of the recipes which I post here and gives me feedback immediately.Its my fortune to get such a sweet and kind  friend.He told me that the above poem was written with the inspiration he derived from my cooking.Thats a big honor for me.

A week before he shared with me a wonderful recipe of Cauliflower Kurma. I made that kurma and it’s a great hit in our home.Usually,my grandma doesn’t like kurmas/briyani kinda dishes as they have the garam masala flavor.But to my surprise ,she enjoyed this cauliflower kurma as its perfectly spiced and the flavor is mild. I had it as a main dish ..I loved it and I swear that this is what I m gonna make when I buy cauliflower next time.Thank you very much ,Shravan for the b’ful poem and the wonderful recipe J

Here goes his recipe…

 You will need :

1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
1 large onion, cut into cubes
3 medium tomatoes, cut into cubes
1 tsp. red chili powder
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cardamom
3 whole cloves
3 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
Salt to taste
10 curry leaves
1 fistful coriander leaves
3 tsp. poppy seeds or khus khus seeds



Powder together cloves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, poppy seeds and keep aside.


Mix onion and tomato pieces and grind to a smooth paste.


To the paste add the ground powder, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric, salt, yogurt and run the mixer once  to get them all mixed..



Pour the paste over the cauliflower florets and mix well making sure that the paste is coated well..Keep aside for 5-10 mins .. 


In a deep non-stick skillet, heat oil, add curry leaves and coriander leaves. Immediately add the above cauliflower mixture and fry for five minutes on high heat.



Now reduce the heat to just below medium and add one cup of water, stir and cover. Cook until the sauce thickens.



 Serve hot with any kind of rice, paratha, dosa and puri.

Sending the first pic to Gayatri's Magnificient Click event at Just Urs!!


This is my entry for JFI :Cauliflower event intiated by Indira of Mahanandi  and hosted by Paajaka recipes..


I also send this as my entry to FIC-ORANGE hosted by Aparna which is originally initiated by Sunshinemom

20 comments:

  1. Looks so good Madhu, I am salivating. I must buy fresh cauliflower and try this! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh..what a lovely poem n poem like dish..Pass my congrats to him..The curry looks a hit..definitely gona giv a try..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog. your blog is simply superb, awaiting for more recipes
    http://justurs.blogspot.com/2009/02/magnificent-click-contest-2009.html contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely poem! The kurma is different and u got a lovely color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice entries..looks perfect & yummy...Nice & innovative blog..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asha-Thanks,yeah try for sure..you will love it

    Varhsa-Thanks ,dear..Will convey that to him

    Gayathri-Thanks.I will send you my entry soon..thanks for inviting

    Cham-Thanks,Cham will tell him that..All credits for the korma goes to him

    Srikars-Thanks for visiting n commenting ,dear..

    Mahimaa-Thank you Mahimaa..

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks delicious, great entry for JFI!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely cauliflower curry. I can see my spoon digging in there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandira-Thanks for visiting and for the lovely comment

    Madhu-Thanks alot madhu..

    Zlamuska-Thanks for visiting..Keep coming

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow I have never had cauliflower kurma ... looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious Kurma Madhu..looks superb..wat a amazing colour..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks tempting dear..Lovely poem too...Pass on my wishes to your friend for sharing a nice reicpie as well as a beautiful poem..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good work Madhu, its gud if we try something new together, my xams gonna over in a week...soo sorry i cant post too many comments.. By the way my wot do u say abt my idea for to make smt. together... anyway my hubby loves a lot of dishes u posted here & he enjoy all the time when i make it at home.. so Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anshita...Nice to see you after a long time..Thanks for dropping a comment.Tell me what you want to make together..i dont get u?!
    Anyways good luck for your exams :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're indeed lucky to have a friend who not only sends you recipes but also sends you feedback.
    Thanks for participating in FIC Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear madhu,
    Thanks for the entry..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely poem with a lovely dish Madhu..

    ReplyDelete
  18. cauliflower one of my favourite dish . Thanks for your Recipe. Surely I am goinf to ask my wife to try this

    Cheers
    Prasad

    While blogging about festival recipe you are welcome to use images and animations from our free greetings to wish your readers

    ReplyDelete