Tuesday, February 17, 2009

French Onion Soup


It had been in my mind for a long time to make this soup.Finally,I did this today and loved it to its last drop.For past few days,I was suffering from cold and this soup is so much relieving.I tried this with white onions and didn't used any liquor.Traditionally,liquor(like sherry or wine) is used to prepare the soup..Here in restaurants,they don't top it with cheese bread(Croutons) while serving the french onion soup.This further pushed me to try it at home..yeah,I wanna try that cheese bread topping with this soup.And I did,but with cheddar not with the Gruyere cheese..The soup was lip-smackingly delicious...
The real beauty in making french onion soup is in frying the thinly sliced onion to dark brown..I'm so impatient and just didn't browned it much..Even then ,it was good..after all they are onions ..it has to be good :)..I have to be more specific in maintaining the patience next time ..
Note:Some add Worcestershire sauce to the soup..this gives the dark color and extra flavour and tartness to the soup.I just skipped this sauce and prepared..I adapted the recipe from Mrs.Malikka Badrinath's Soup and juice recipes.

You will need:

4 white onions
1 tbsp butter
1 clove of garlic
1 1/2 cup of stock (vegetable/chicken)
salt and pepper

For Croutons :
1 small Baguette bread-sliced into 1 inch thick slices
1 cup of cheese 
some butter



Remove the skin off the onions an put them in boiling water for 5 mins.Then transfer them in cool water for 5 mins.Slice them very thinly..


In a crock pot,melt butter and add the crushed clove of garlic




Add the thinly sliced onion and fry till brown..



Add stock and cook covered for few mins until the onions are soft..




Add required water like 2-3 cups and add salt and pepper as per taste..

Bring to boil and turn off the heat..

Preparing the croutons...


Apply some butter on each baguette slice and top it with some shredded cheese.Line them in a baking tray and bake in 250 C preheated oven for 10 mins or until the cheese melts and gets a golden crust..



Serve the soup hot with few croutons..(Generally,the soup is ladled in a small french ramekins and it is covered with a fitting slicing of baguette and cheese ..which is baked and served )

My croutons got soaked and started sinking while taking pictures..sigh!!
Weight watchers can skip the cheese..




Sending this as my second entry to Dk's A.W.E.D France...



And also to Neha's SWC Soups..

21 comments:

  1. I make this soup too, so yummy in Winter with crunchy cheese bread on top. Good one for French AWED! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a classic provencal one!! loved the croutons in it.. looks like its my first time here..love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the onion soup and u made it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a comforting soup Madhu..n pretty easy too..I like the way you put step by step pics..very useful..bet thats an xtra effort,cos I have never been able to do that amidst of messy cooking.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. french soups and home made crouton makes me drooling. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for your lovely comment madhu. Soup looks yummy. I've never tried it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a new recipe to me.., thanx for sending it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Asha-Thanks ,asha..Yeah for winter they are perfect..

    @SuperChef-Welcome,dear.thanks for dropping a lovely comment..

    @Cham-Im much relieved when you said it came out perfect :)

    @Varsha-Thanks for the encouraging comment,dear.I can't believe with you..Your pictures are great,varsha

    @Viki-Thanks,Viki for the lovely comment

    @Neha-Thanks for hosting the event & for your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent new variety of french soup! u have a great place here! do visit mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a prefect soup..lovely Madhu, u did a great job..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this soup! will give it a try for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a wonderful soup ..looks very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. good entry for french awed .. lovely soup for winters

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh...what an effort u put into this soup! It looks so appealing....great job, buddy. Love lots of onions in my diet...this will be my perfect soup!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely soup with onion an topped with cheese bread.. i never tried soup dont knw y :) !! Can i have a sip??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Priyanka,Madhu,Trupti,Deesha & Malar-Thanks a lot for the precious comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Gayathri-Yes,Will check out

    @Archy-Thanks,Archy.Its my pleasure serving you this soup..Come over here ,dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only soup that i like is french onion soup. I will try this for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so love love love french soup (did i say love enough!;))

    That bowl looks so inviting! Every minute of effort is totally worht isnt it.Yum.

    Thanks for sending this over to AWED French

    ReplyDelete