Thursday, February 12, 2009

Marshmallow & Hot Chocolate


Wanna make V-day special just being at home?Then this post is for you.Chocolates and romance go hand in hand...A cup of hot chocolate topped with homemade marhsmallows shared with your spouse/beau on a chilly night is a cute way to celebrate V-day.Single souls like me can share it with your friends and family and beat away the blues :)
I have tasted marshmallows for the first time when I went to Munnar.This chewy,soft,spongy confection is something out of the world.I have found that all the marshmallow recipes available in internet uses corn syrup.I don't get it here.I just skipped it and tried and it worked fine for me.
This is my third attempt in making marshmallows at home.I'm so happy that it came out perfect.For V-day,I wanna make heart-shaped marshmallows.Can't find a heart-shaped cookie cutter..so I made one by myself using my engineering skills (We had sheet metal workshops as part of curriculum during my 1st year of my engg course)..During those times ,I wonder how do these classes gonna help me in future..But today,I realised the purpose ;) I don't have proper equipments to bend and cut the sheet metal..with the available ones,I managed to make 2 cutters in less than 15 mins..I patted on my back ..I felt, I can make it better..Im in hurry so didn't bothered for perfection...

My very own cookie cutters..
A pack of hot chocolate mix and homemade marshmallows can make a great gift to your loved ones...
With no further ado,let me share the recipe..
For the Hot chocolate Mix :
1 cup cocoa 
1 cup milk powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Sift the the above listed ingredients together and store in a air-tight container.
Marshmallows :
You will need :
3/4 cup Sugar 
1 tbsp Gelatine crystals
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla-peppermint extract
For dusting :
1/4 cup Powdered sugar
1/4 cup corn flour
Sieve these 2 ingredients together.
Soak the gelatine in water for 10 mins.

Add the sugar and to the gelatine mixture and bring to boil.Once the sugar has dissolved completely.Reduce the heat to medium and wait till the sugar syrup has reach one stirng consistency(one thing string is formed when tested between index finger and thumb).


Transfer the gelatine/sugar mixture in a large mixing bowl and let it cool for 2 mins.


Beat with an egg beater for 5 mins or until the mixture gets opaque and thick.



In a tray,sprinkle the dusting mixture and pour the thick batter.Spread the batter evenly and let it cool in refigirator for 2 to 3 hours.

Once its set,transfer the marshmallow on cutting board.Sprinkle some dusting mixture.Using the cookie cutter cut out the marshmallows and coat each them in dusting mixture.


I was cutting them in a pattern to avoid remains.The little remains can be used to make instant chocolate mousse.I will post the recipe some time later.


Preparing the hot chocolate drink...

Heat in a cup of milk,when it comes to boil whisk it to make it frothy.Add 2 to 3 tbsp of hot chocolate mix.Whisk briskly.Pour in your fav cup and top it with marshmallows.
Add a pinch of cinnamon powder for Mexican Hot Chocolate..

Melting hearts..







Happy Valentines Day to all!




This is my entry for Asvadha's 'Made for each other ' event..I guess marshmallow and Hot chocolate makes a perfect jodi :)

27 comments:

  1. hi madhu,am the first one to comment ts cute looking marshmallow & hot chocalate:)First time in ur blog..really great..gone thro the previous post,ratatouille..it looks yum &this is my blog name:)Do make a visit at ur fre time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chitra,Welcome & thanks for coming and dropping a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madhu,

    I love the step - by - step photos. Look forward to your simple recipes for the Recipes for the rest of us event.

    /Cheers
    Ramki

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you made the cookie cutters yourself? Awesome! First time here, nice blg you've got :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sir.. sure will send a recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aquadaze-Hi,Yeah I did it..I don't get it in any stores here.Thks for visting my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice selection for V day. I too love marshmallows. Picture looks fabulous...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. u are a very creative person dear. I cant believe u r doing ur own cookie cutter and marshmallows .. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Malar-Thanks a lot

    Viki-Thanks you for the compliement

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm,
    Its a real propitious one for the day...
    Was wondering about a recipe for Marshmallow coz its a favo to me... Nice to see it on ur blog...

    ReplyDelete
  11. NKN-Thanks a lot for the comment ,Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Madhumathi..such a beautiful recipe..perfect for the day...yummy..I chuckled seeing your very own cookie cutter,cos am a techie too..really appreciate you for that..:)
    Its my first time here//you got such a lovely space dear..keep going n yeah I loved ur name too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Madhu, the cutters you made urself are very good!, marshmallows look simply awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Varsha-Thanks for the lovely comment..Even Im surprised that i couuld make one cutter by myslef..

    @Bindya-Thanks a lot,dear

    ReplyDelete
  15. thnks a ton for sendin tis over for the event,..what a combination,.;-)i guess u cansend this for made for each other event too,..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Madhu,
    Thank you for sending me your entry.I'll post it very soon. Marshmallows and Hot chocolate looks sinfully delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Madhumati,never ever did i think of making marshmallows at home...this is a wonderful recipe.Looks wonderful.Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Ratna-Thanks for the comment..

    @Nithya-Thanks a lot dear

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you made marshmallows. So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow... pakarathuku unna madhiriye beautiful and lovely a iruke..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look like store bought one, u ve some great collection of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nags,Ajay,kitchen flavours & Cham..
    Thanks for stopping by and giving your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, home make cookie cutter an marshmallow..with hot choco, wonderful treat on V'day..

    Thanks for dropping by my blog..

    Nice blog with wonderful collection of recipes.. Keep visiting my blog too !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Came here from asankhana's roundup post.
    Congrats...
    Lovely combination and beautifull step-by-step presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You made the marshmallows from scratch?! They look incredible! Really impressive.:)

    ReplyDelete