Friday, April 3, 2009

Dum ki Biryani & Kaddu ki Kheer!



Dum ki Biryani and Kaddu ki Kheer(Bottle gourd pudding) are two famous dishes of Awadhi cuisine.I'm sending these two royal dishes to RCI-Lucknow event hosted by Lavi of Home Cook Recipes which is originally started by Lakshmi.Its so kind of her to extend the deadline untill April 6th.I adapted the Dum Biryani recipe of Chef Sudipto Battacharya,Radisson Hotel at ndtv cooks.I made some changes to suit my palate.This is my first attempt in making these two dishes and I'm happy with the result.
I thought of making a mughlai curry to go with the Biryani but due to lack of time I settled with simple cucumber raita.
These brass and bell metal bowls  are some of the treasures I inherited from my grandmas.
Okay before I start blabbering about my obsession for metal wares lets begin cooking!



Kaddu Ki Kheer 

You will need :

2 cups grated bottlegourd
1/2 litre milk
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Khoya
1 tbsp chopped pistachios
2 tbsp chopped Cashews nuts
few almond slices
1 Tbsp raisins
A pinch of saffron
1/2 tsp Caradamom powder
1 tbsp ghee

In a heavy bottom vessel bring the milk to boil.simmer for 10 mins to thicken the milk.


In the mean time,peel the bottle gourd,remove seeds and grate them.


Squeeze out any excess water.



Add the grated bottle gourd and sugar to the milk.Let it cook for 5-8 mins.



Parallely in a small kadai heat ghee and fry the nuts and raisins.



Mix the Khoya and dissolve them in the boiling kheer.



Add the caradamom powder ,saffron and fried nuts and raisins.Stir well and turn off the heat.Serve hot or cold!




Dum Ki Biryani

You will need:

For the rice :

2 cups Basmati rice
2 cups water
2 green cardadmoms
1 stick of cinnamon
2 bay leaves
1 tsbp rose water
1 tsp ghee
Salt

For the Vegetables :

2 cups vegetables (I used chopped potatoes,cauliflower florets,carrot,beans and onion)
4 tbsp oil
5 tsp garlic n ginger paste
2 green caradamom
2 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup curd
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
A pinch of fennel seed powder
salt

For Garnish:

1 Tbsp thinnly sliced ginger
2 green chillies,slit
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1 cup thinnly sliced onions
Oil for frying the onions
5 almonds
10 cashew nuts
1 tsp saffron
4 tbsp milk,lukewarm
2 tbsp ghee




Wash the bastmati rice once and soak them in enough water.Soak saffron in milk.



Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the vegetables for 10 mins.



When the vegetables are frying,mix all the rest of the ingredients under the 'For the vegetables'  section.After 10 mins,add the fried vegetables to this curd/spice mixture.Mix well and set aside.



Drain the water completely from the soaking rice.In a deep pan,bring 2 cups of water to boil and add all the spices ,salt and ghee given under 'For the rice' section.



Add the drained rice and simmer and cook covered till done.



Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the marinating mixture for 5-7 mins.



When its frying ,slice 1 big onion..Heat 5 tbsp oil and then add the onions..



Fry them till they become brown and crisp.



In the same oil fry the cashew nuts in low flame.



In a large oven proof bowl,layer a portion of  fried vegetable mixture and then a layer of cooked rice.Do this step until you get finished up with all the vegetable mixture and rice.Gently mix them only once.



Top it with coriander,mint,green chillies,fried cahsews and onions(reserve some for garnishing at the end),almonds,and the soaking saffron along with milk.Drizzle 2 tbsp ghee .



Cover this using a aluminium foil and cook in 250 C preheated oven for 25 mins.
Or cover them with a plate and seal the air gaps using chapati dough.
If you don't have oven,place a tawa over flame and when it got heated up,place the sealed bowl over the tawa and cook in low flame for 30 mins.

Note:Traditionally,Dum cooking involves imparting smoky flavour to the dish.If you like this flavor ,you can do it by placing a small piece of  live charcoal in the center cored onion or betel nut leaf.Place this  over the biryani and keep it covered for 10 mins.




Once removed from oven,open the biryani bowl and give a gentle stir .




Transfer in a serving dish,garnish with the reserved browned onions,cashews and coriander leaves.




I'm also sending the following dishes from my archived posts to RCI - Lucknow event,




This week I tried Malar's Green plantain fry.Its very different from the usual plantain fry we make at home.I liked the spicy,tangy taste in it.Thank you ,Malar for the wonderful reicpe :)




Y'day I made the lemon bread featured at Cham's Spice-club.The bread is a super hit ,Cham.Thanks for  posting it in your blog.The bread came out so perfect and my cousins were not believing that I made it :(  I had to swear them that they aren't the store-bought ones.Its so yummy-scrummy!
I used pistachio's instead of walnuts.



And also ,I tried the basic white bread from Nags Edible garden.This is my second successful attmept in baking bread.It came out so well like yours.Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial,Nags :)




Have a happy weekend!

62 comments:

  1. wow ....I dont have words to say :D. Dum ka Biryani and Kaddu Kheer slurp! Very nice Madhu dear :)..Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOwoww tempting dum biriyani n bottlegourd kheer madhu...u did an excellent job...Also ur T&T looks prefect n delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i come India, i gonna come down Chidabaram! Gal the biryani looks so authent, u made it like a pro! At ur age, I didn't know half of u ve posted! Bravo!
    The lemon bread and white bread come out perfect. I would love with nuts! Thanks for trying it so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks,Vishali :)

    Thanks,Priya :)

    I will be honored if you pay a visit to me :) Thats a big appreciation..I'm flattered.Loved the bread so much.Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy DUM Biryani, you have really worked for this post, good for you. Love the Kaddu Kheer. I grow so many Kaddus in Summer, I tend to make every Kaddu dish I can get my hands on until they are all over! :D

    Breads look good too. You have been busy! Enjoy, see you on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey forgot to comment on the breads :) both of them look delicious....I love the Pistachio one:D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those bowl are just gorgeous!! these days if you want good brass sstuff, it is soo expensive and difficult to get as well! The biryani looks awesome, so does the kheer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That biryani looks out of the world Madhu - can't wait to try it myself. Must've been rich tasting and delicious. Kaddhu kheer looks yummy too... have made a halwa with them before.

    Nice to see the dishes you tried from other bloggers too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Madhu..Wats ur plan gal?to make me die due to dehydration..cos I'm drooling so much u knw..:D
    I loveddddddddd those Thali's..so authentic n the kheer n Biriyani looks so so divine..How do you find time to study amidst of all these cooking Saga's baby?..I see a lot of effort here..clicking n aranging these many pics..oh ..Kudos..!!!
    Have a great weekend..!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. biryani looks wonderful madhu...very very good..i cant say in words..worth to try it..nice step by step procedure..oh my god how can one can do all these yummy n wonderful recipes...want to try all dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy yummy looks too good, great post..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Madhu..What to say? Iam struck..Perfect Lucknow Treat from you Dear!

    Dum Briyani's Look's yummy..Kheer is absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey buddy. your pictures look so professional. i love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow I just love Dum Biryani .. gorgeous N lovely kheer too

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. this is fantastic feast. i'm too lazy to make biryanis or kheer. i'll just drool here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. excellent spread :)
    love the biryani and the step-by-step pictures... the kheer and the cake and the bread look soo delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Asha-Thanks a lot.DO try this kheer when you get kaddus!

    Vishali-Thank you!You are so sweet :)

    Superchef-You are rite.Thats why I'm so obsessed about them.Thanks for your comment :)

    Laavanya-Thanks for the comment :)

    Vincent-Thank you!Glad you visited :)

    Varsha-Thanks ya!As of now,I'm free and could manage time.But the case not the same once my course starts this june :(

    Lavanya-Do try them on a leisure day :)

    Gayathri-Thank you :)

    Lavi-Thanks for hosting the event..I'm glad u liked it :)

    Food fanatic-Thanks for the compliement :)

    Deesha-Thanks :)

    Vibaas-Thanks :)

    Bee-Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome spread and lovely presentation! The bowls look so authentic and beautiful! Nice clicks Madhu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Biryani looks perfect and yummy....Nice authentic presentation..i loved the vessels u served in..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I am drooling here. Mouthwatering pics. Great step-by-step pics. Biryani and kheer looks gorgeous. Lovely presentation.

    Both the breads have come out well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, thats a good combination.. The Biryani looks so good, i can almost smell it...

    Poetry directory

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dum Biriyani looks awesome and colorful...and so yummy too...seems you were busy this week..all the breads looks great !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Madhumati,
    Wow, you've really taken pains to do so much and really patiently. The dum biryani looks droolworthy. I had heard abt kaddu ka kheer but hadn't tasted it nor knew the recipe...it looks stunning :) nice presentation.
    Ur tried and tasted dishes look weel done. nice one girl and tha's so much of work in a short time :)
    God bless, and good luck for ur coarse.
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi madhu, gr8 to see all the comments swarming into your blog. U deserve 'em for all your excellence, commitment, dedication & allegiance to your blog. I wish i would have born as your younger sister(charu i think) to taste all those!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow.. looks delicious.. nice entry...

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, what a royal feast! All the dishes are just gorgeous and mouth-watering. Love all your bowls too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!!! That biriyani looks so delish.....I've never tasted bottlegourd kheer before, but it looks good. The metal bowl is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! What a feast. I love biryani but it's serious hard work.

    And congratulations on your successful bread. Once you get it right, you have your fear of yeast cured. Or so it happened to me

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Madhu for ur comments! Can u check now and see...I dont find any pblm when I checked!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow, the biryani looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gal, step by step photos, your hard work is really amazing! Kheer is so tempting, Biryani is awesome! Breads are soft and perfect! Great work, Madhu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Droolworthy biryani:-) biryani is one of my favorite food:-) & it never stops to lure & tempt me. urs look of the best. I have heard of lauki kheer, & it's pretty common in bengal too. i have never made it myself.
    i will be dreaming of yoru biryani today .. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice biryani.. looks delicious.. nice colour.. great clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  34. That biriyani looks awesome. Yummm...great for a sunday special lunch:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amazing presentation. Congrats! The post is as delcious as the dishes themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow my kinds food. Looks yum....Love the spicy and aromatic flavour of biryani....Wish i could taste some right now....Kaddu ki kheer is all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow.. Lovely biriyani and a fantastic kheer! Hmmm... Yummy! Very nice photos! I too made Dum biriyani for the weekend.. Its the Hyderabadi style! Waiting in the Q to be posted... :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you very much for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, thank you for the visit and the comment; you've got a lovely blog and happily I'm discovering your recipes; Dum Briyani looks perfect for the first attempt and the kheer looks yummm (I like anything sweet :); love the brass and metal bowls too; unfortunately, we don't see these kind of vessels very often now a days...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow Madhu yummy and mouthwatering pictures...Bottle gourd pudding is new to me...Your dum biryani is almost similar to our malabar biryani..looks soooo yummy

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a authentic look to the dishes Madhu !! very well explained with traditional pic.. loved the first pic.. its a perfect click for mughlai look!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The first picture looks beautiful, so rich and traditional. Great cooking and lvoely spread.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow..! yummmy yummmmy! Excellent clicks and descriptions !

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would have loved to sit down at your house to eat this meal it looks wonderful. The raita and biryani look amazing.

    It is not easy to find good traditional metal and brass dishes you are lucky to still have your grandmas dishes they look really nice with the food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. really wonderful post and i love that combo dum biriyani and kaddu kheer. it reminds me hyd.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Madhu, i made the biryani (but a simpler version of it) and it was awesome. Mild yet flavorful. Thank you for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  47. hoi this is so tempting and yummy.. feel like to prepare this right now and have it imdtly. very nice pic and appreciate d way of presenting stp by stp preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow, I have no words to say now, Both are looking gorgeous Madhu...I am really tempted now..Chance illa Madhu..Superba iruku..Pesama parcel pannidu madhu ennaku illati nee Chennai vandudutu...

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thats a yummiest post dear. U are so talented to do the biryani so perfect. Kheer... mouthwatering dish. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  50. You are so talented dear to do a perfect biryani like this. Kheer seems mouthwatering.
    yummy post.

    ReplyDelete
  51. wow both look ohhhhh so good,love the biryani looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Madhu, is there a daawat at your place? I am coming over - I don't need the address! At this rate I think my nose will do the job:)

    Harini

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow typical awadhi cuisine there..

    ReplyDelete
  54. woo wht a feast...u would have called me.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  55. wht a post,..lauki kheer looks yum,,we prepare without khoya,..nd so oes dum biryani,..and the bread has ome out well too,..

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your biryani dishes look so flavorful! I can actually savor it in my mouth. Ohhhh! I miss home so very much when I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Mindblowing..You made me drool for Lauki ki kheer, marvelous pictures Biryani looks too good and a must try. Thank u very much for the pictures. Very nice ethinic entry.

    ReplyDelete
  58. mouth watering recipe and great fragrance...you didnot describe what to do with milk with saffron.smart work keep up the tasty job.

    Thanks
    engineer

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi, I was searching for Veg. Dum biryani on net and got yours. Your Biryani is looking perfect and yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  60. Yummy! The dum biryani looks fabulous! I am drooling!

    ReplyDelete