Friday, April 24, 2009

Puli Koozhu & Mor Koozhu/Kali..



Mor Koozhu/Mor Kali





Puli Koozhu /Puli Kali

Puli(Tamarind) koozhu(pronounced 'Koolu') and Mor(Buttermilk) koozhu are also known by various other names like Rice flour upma or Kali or AmruthaPalam.These are often made in the rural side of TamilNadu...Both my grandmas make these often .Don't get decieved by the messy look of the kali..It really tastes divine!The tanginess of the buttermilk/tamarind with the perfect 'tempering' makes this kali/koozhu incredibly yummy..I love the Puli(tamarind) Koozhu better than the butter milk one..My grandma makes this by soaking the par-boiled rice for an hour and then grinding them to smooth paste.But this needs some forethought and some extra effort know?!
I could see that there are people like me who wants to make this kali/koozhu in jiffy.I'm posting the short-cut method too..
Long back ,my college senior and friend,Ajay Kumar shared with me this Quick-Mor Kali recipe.He lives in Singapore with a bunch other guys and doing his Masters in NTU,S'pore.He is the chief cook at their home and I always wonder how he manages to cook without a mixer/grinder..His cooking sans onion& garlic...But these limitations,doesn't prevents him from making the best tasting food..His roomies always show thumbs ups for the food prepared by him..Ajay is not only a good cook but also a great writer..Check him out at Tantalizing Thoughts.

Quick-Mor Kali /Mor Koozhu :

You will need :

1 Cup Rice flour
2 Cups buttermilk
3 red chillies
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tbsp channa dal
1 tsp urad dal
10 curry leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
A pinch of Hing

In a heavy bottom vessel,mix rice flour,salt and buttermilk to form a homogenous mixture.



Heat oil in a small fry pan, add mustard and hing.Let it splutter.Add red chillies ,channa dal ,urad dal and curry leaves.Fry until the lentils are golden..

Add this tempering along with oil to the rice/buttermilk mixture.

Place the heavy bottom vessel on flame and stir constantly for 10-12 mins.When you dip your fingers in water and touch the kali ,it should not be sticky.This is the right consistency of kali.You can turn off the heat at this point.





To have the authentic 'Grammathu'(Village) feel,serve in a leaf..I used a large teak leaf to serve.Place some fried mor-milagai(Buttermilk chillies,available in large Indian grocery stores) and 'Citron pickle' (Narthangai urugai)..

The whole procedure takes only 15 mins to make this dish..


Puli Koozhu or Puli Kali :

You can make this kali by simply substituting buttermilk with tamarind water in the above method..But what I'm going to show now is the elaborate method.
Here we soak the rice and then grind it to make the kali.This yields much more yummy and aromatic kali..I love the kali made in this way better than the quick method!

You will need :

1 cup par-boiled rice
1 1/2 cup water,for soaking rice
1 1/2 cup,for tamarind juice
1 small lemon sized ball of tamarind 
1/2 tbsp channa dal
1 tsp urad dal
3 red chillies
1 tsp mustard
10 curry leaves
1 tbsp oil
A pinch of Hing
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
few drops of coconut oil



Soak par-boiled rice in 1.5 cups of water for 1 hour .Drain the rice and reserve 1/2 cup of the soaking water.Grind the rice with the 1/2 cup of water to a smooth paste.

Soak tamarind in 1.5 cups of water separately for 10 mins.Extract the tamarind juice from the pulp.Add the tamarind juice to the rice paste.

Add turmeric power,hing,salt.Stir well to form a lump free mixture.

Heat oil and fry mustard,red chillies,urad dal,channa dal and curry leaves.



Throw the tempering to the rice/tamarind mixture.Combine well.



Place this over medium flame and stir constantly for 10-12 mins.When you dip your fingers in water and touch the kali ,it should not be sticky.This is the right consistency of kali.You can turn off the heat at this point.

Though you can serve the kali as it is..my grandma always serve them as squares/diamonds.



Grease a tray/plate.Pour the kali and spread it evenly.


Don't forget to drizzle few drops of coconut oil over the bed of kali.This gives a very nice flavor to the kali.
Let it cool completely..
In our home,its made after dinner and allowed to cool at room temp for the whole night.The next morning,we slice them up into squares/diamonds and have them for our breakfast.

It tastes best with Idli-milagai podi and Garlic podi!



I sliced these kali when they are still hot..So it looks imperfect..



Here you can see the frim and perfectly sliced kali..

This is one dish which is always loved by everyone at our home!
I'm sure you too will love it soo much..So do try and tell me how it came..

Kali/Koozhu is orginated from the rural regions of Southern India..


So I'm sending these to Shama's 'Grammathu Kaimanam'  



I made Lisa's Mango Coconut Pancakes y'day.And it was super soft and spongy..The mango and cardamom flavors blended very well .I think I should have let it brown more..But the taste was great..The whole experience of making this pancake was fun..And eating them with my younger cousins were much more fun..They didn't even allowed me to click the pics..
They were all gone in few secs!
Thanks Lisa for the lovely recipe :)
Check out the recipe at her blog..

It goes to Tried & Tasted event hosted by Aparna which is originally started by Zlamuska.





When I saw Rak's Naan recipe (without yeast) I jumped in joy..I can't wait to try that..So I fixed her Naan recipe for dinner.The Naan turned out perfect..It was fluffy and soft.My sis devoured it ...I made Butter beans korma for the side..I don't have to depend on 'Yeast proofing' for making Naans anymore...Thanks,Raks :)

Have a happy weekend!

46 comments:

  1. The kali looks amazing. Certainly a comfort meal.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the pancake! Thanks for trying out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You already made the Naan. I want to try it too, looks good. Pancakes are yum too.

    I have tried Moe Kuzhu from Suganya's blog, loved it.Puli Kozhu is new, perfect diamonds, must try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great dishes as always. i never tried puli kali.. and i am sure, i will try it. looks like dokla. and thanks for sending the mor kali recipe for the event.. yes, it is indeed very easy and can be made in 15 min.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These two dishes r new to me..There is always something new in ur blog..lovely ingredients,thanx for sharing Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! very simple and delicious dishes as always :) ..Thanks for sharing very quick recipe Thanks da

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Madhu! thats awsome cooking without a grinder :). Thank for sharing the recipes with us and thank you for ur friend too. Love both the recipes.

    Naan looks fab(my attempt was a big story ;)) urs looks mouth watering!!

    And, wt shld I say abt Mango Pancakes....u must be enjoying Indian mangoes nicely girl. we get some gisa pita ones here not so comparable to our Indian taste :D.

    Anyway, I really enjoyed all the recipes. Great going. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow madhu, both dishes makes me nostalgic...thats really a delicious dishes both together...U already made the naans, am gonna try it soon too..mango pancakes look too yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post with yummy dishes...Naan without yeast sounds interesting madhu..Will try it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Madhu thats definitely a healthy dish... Wow thanks for sharing them I love them but never have made them... nicely shaped diamonds :) love this gotta make this for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made me wish I had your grandmas too after reading this. It all looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing authentic dishes Madhu..I loved all of them..cute leaves..:)
    Ahh..u tried that naan..good..am also going to try it soon..You gals have put up so tempting pics ..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for two wonderful recipes. i have some rice flour that i need to use up. the tamraind one looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice dishes..new to me..these names are new to me ofcourse :)
    naan luks so good..yummy dishes madhu!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a wonderful dish! Looks so appetizing! Morr Kali is perfect for summer. Puli kali is new to me. I love those shapes and side dishes! Naan is perfect! :9

    ReplyDelete
  15. Puli kali and mor kali look so yumm and new Madhu! I love the way you have presented it on a leaf... Looks cute and awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Mom prepares something similar to puli kuzhu, good you reminded me that...lovely diamond cuts....

    ReplyDelete
  17. reminds me of my mom's cooking. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do the mor koozhu the same way. Puli koozhu is new to me. I will surely give a try. Koozhu is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sure is a new recipe for me. Looks good and ur naan looks so tempting. Just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Naan looks perfect! And loved the tamarind version of the dishTangy one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Puli kali is new Madhu & very tempting, u made naan too very quick u re!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow simply yummy.....I thought them to be dhokla....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Madhu,

    This is how my mom also makes,but I hav never tried to make:P I have to try coz,I love it!

    Thanks for trying out my Naan and posting it here!! You really made my day! Seeing this,sure somany friends will try :)) Hope you enjoyed it :)

    I am in Chennai now and this month end I am coming to Chidambaram for a marriage...My MIL's native is Chidambararm and still there are relatives over there and we are goin to stay there onlY:))

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was the one...I was looking for eveywhere...the Mor kali recipe, you made my day. The pictures are eye catching. Puli kali sounds new...and very ethnic to me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My MIL's house is in aasiriar nagar as her mom was teacher once... Where u stay?
    U can mail me at tvijayanand1904@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  26. awesome spread :)
    love the mor koozhu and puli koozhu... and the naan looks very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hey.. wat a surprise to find my name and my link ther...!!!!

    anyways u seem to rock with ur dishes... pl dont make to come all the way to cdm for this...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your presentation, looks very delish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. that's a gorgeous spread.......naan looks very tempting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've only had morkali before but the version with the puli sounds tantalizing and I can't wait to try. Thanks for sharing your grandma's version.
    That naan looks out of this world :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kali looks amazing. More yummy recipes, I got to see now. I am very late already. Bear with me. Love all those drolling recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've seen mor kali on a couple of blogs now. I should try making it especially since it takes just 15 minutes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's an appetizing spread, real comfort food. The naan is also lovely. Must try this version.
    With the mango season, here these pancakes are perfect. Thanks for sending them for T&T.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful post Madhoo..Kali looks real yummy and all others especially the fresh made naan makes me drool..all great entries.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Both are very new to me....i love the look and sound of the puli kali :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. truly authentic dear..yummy..thank you for ur lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  37. Kalakara po nee..Engayo poyende iruka...Nan sama perfecta iruku..

    ReplyDelete
  38. I too love anything without yeast.......love ur grandmoms recipes too.Looks nice.I've never had it thou.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great going gal !! gud entry for the event.. simple an easy !!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi love this so much.. even we do this

    ReplyDelete
  41. morkali and puli kali r my fav too... u have a very nice blog here.thnx for yr visit. yr pulikali idea is nice.. i like the way you have cut into diamond shapes! the dish looks so appetizing! wonderful dear! The naans look sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  42. morkuzhukali.. have heard of it..but never tried. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Madhu

    Thanks a lot for participating in T&T April. I hope you had fun and will take up the challenge again this month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. My mom will do in similar way,Lovely Koozhu

    ReplyDelete