Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Aloo Bonda (Batata Vada) | Healthier version



Making deep-fried dishes is not an usual affair in our home.My grandma makes them only during festival days .A week ago,to my surprise ,my grandma was making peas & aloo bonda .I went up to her and enquired what's special today..And she told me that she has come to know a new way of making bonda without using much oil.I saw her using the 'Kulipaniyaram Kal'/abeleskiver pan for frying the bondas!But she used wheat flour for the batter,which I didn't like.
There is a recent post by "JugalBandi" about using this Kulipaniyaram kal for making Bondas!My mouth watered while reading their post..So a day ago I made this aloo bonda and shared it with my friends!They loved it immensely and they couldn't find out that I didn't deep-fry the bondas!

You will need:

For the filling..
1/2 Kg boiled and mashed potatoes
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlice paste
1 tsp chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp oil
Salt to taste

Heat the oil and fry the mustard,cumin seeds and chillies.Add to the mashed potatoes.




Mix the mashed potatoes and the other ingredients well and keep aside..

For the Batter:

1/2 cup chick pea flour(Besan)
1/2 cup Rice flour
1 tsp red chilliy powder
Salt to taste



Combine the ingredients of batter and add water and make a paste in a ribbon consistency..


Heat the 'kulipaniyaram kal'(This is centuries old which belongs to my grandma..and hence looks 'rustic') and 1/2 tsp of oil in all the cups of the skillet...
Make small balls of the potato filling and dip in the batter and drop in the cups individually..
After a couple of mins turn around the bonda ..Add 1/2 a tsp of oil for each bonda on the sides and cook till u get a crispy golden color on all sides..




Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Madhu, a million thanks for sharing this brilliant idea of your grandma's. I love to eat alu bondas but always with a guilty feeling of ingesting too much oil. Bravo and kisses to ur grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my blog..Will convey your compliments to my grandma..

    ReplyDelete