Thursday, March 5, 2009

Orange Cake with Candied Orange!



I made orange cake recently for my grandfather's b'day.Orange cake is his favorite and so I made this zesty cake for him .He became so happy and enjoyed it so much.Everybody who tasted the cake told me its so nice.So I wanted to post it here.
I checked out numerous recipes over the internet and finally adapted the recipe from buttersugarflour..I made some changes in icing the cake.I made orange flavored buttercream for the frosting and decorated it with some candied orange...Here comes the recipe ..

For the cake :

You will need :
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
3 eggs
1 -3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup yogurt,beaten
2 tbsp orange zest
3/4 cup orange juice



Beat sugar and 3 eggs together.



Add butter to the egg/sugar mixture and beat them well.




Pour the yogurt ,orange juice n orange zest and combine them well.
In a separate bowl sift together flour,soda and salt.



Add the flour to wet mixture and combine them well using a spatula.



Grease a 12" baking tin and pour the batter.Preheat oven for 250 C.Bake the cake for 20-30 mins or until the toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.



Cool for 10 mins.Transfer the cake in a wire rack and allow to cool completely.

For Candied Orange :

You will need :
2 Oranges
2 cup water
3/4 cup Sugar


Slice the oranges as shown in figure.




Bring the sugar and water to boil.



Add the orange slices and let it cook for 30 mins in low heat.Turn the slices now and then.




Once they are done.Remove them and allow it to cool on a butter paper/parchment paper.

You can make this ready when the cake is baking.

For the Orange Buttercream :

You will need :

1/2 cup butter,at room temperature
2.5 cup Icing Sugar
1 tsp of orange zest 
1 tbsp of orange juice




Cream together butter and icing sugar.Add juice n zest combine well.



Spread this cream over the completely cooled cake.



Make sure that you cover the sides too.
Place the candied orange over the sides..Sprinkled orange flavored drinking Tang powder on top..
I reserved some of the buttercream.I colored it orange and used it to write the b'day wish and for some piping.



I think I should have used brown color for piping..Anyways,It tasted good ..Before I could take a picture of sliced cake,it was gone :(


I'm very glad to say that I won the Cook n Create with luv and luv event hosted by Priyanka of asankhana.Its so sweet of her to choose me as winner ,though I'm a beginner in cooking when compared to many expereinced people out there.This is the first time I'm winning in such event.
 Although I thanked her personally thru mail,I felt I must thank her here,Thank you ,Priyanka :)

I made my very own cookie cutters by myself for the heart-shaped marshmallow for the event...It came out successfully ..So I made some more cookie cutters like that and made these savory crackers 'Muthiya' y'day ..I followed the recipe posted by Mahimaa ..Check out the recipe here ..We all loved them..Thanks ,Mahimaa



I feel the best thing about blogging is ,having so many friends of same interest..All of you are so kind and enthusiastic...
Varsha & Malar are so sweet that they shared with me this following award..




,which states that :
"These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."


I feel soo good that they thought of me too..
Now its hard for me to choose 8 persons..I wanna  pass this award to everyone..All are equally sweet and they mean so much to me...
Anyways I'm passing this to the following 8 friends..









And these 8 friends will pass this to my other friends :)

32 comments:

  1. MY!! What a beautiful looking cake! Your kitchen must have smelled divine. Candied Orange slices looks so yummy. Love it. You worked hard for making these. I appreciate your effort! :))

    Enjoy the award and thanks for thinking of me too. Hugs!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again u made a cookie cutter, Gal re making ur baking pan too? U re the perfect baker with personal touch. Love orange cake, I was looking yest for orange candy recipe and thought was little time consuming. U make everything from scratch. Hats off for ur patience! My B'Day wishes to ur grandpa!
    U Derserve much awards! Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Achoodaa..Thats such a sweet cake Madhu..I feel like a kid seeing it..:)You always make me senti with this grandpa/ma thingies..:D
    ONce again hats off for that self-explaining pics..I am not just saying,but it looks so cute n yummy..:)
    Congrats on the award dear..you deserve it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Madhu u r prefect baker dear, wat a lovely n prefectly frosted cake, love the orange cakes...candied orange slices looks amazing...My Birthday wishes to ur grandpa...

    COngrats on ur award, thanks for sharing with me dear, am honoured:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asha,As always you commented first..thanks for the appreciation..Its just the sweet responses from you guys that keeps me going :)

    Srikars,Thanks a lot :)

    Cham,ha ha..no I'm not into making baking pan..Im in a small town where I couldn't get cookie cutters..When I see other blogs who use special equipments and ingredients that i could'nt reach for ..I feel jealous and I too wanna badly try them all..This thing only forced me to make the cookie cutter by myself :)Thanks for the appreciation,Cham :)

    Varsha,Thanks a lot..You are much more sweet than the cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priya,Getting appreciation from you is a big honor for me..You are a wonderful baker and I must say that you inspire me a lot :) Thank you,dear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Madhu...The cake looks delicious and Many Happy returns to ur Granpa...

    Nothing smells good like fresh oranges ...:)

    Congratulations on the awards...ur recipes rock !

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, that is so nice to make a cake for grandpa...cake looks so good..i can smell it from here :)

    and thanks for the award madhu. appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madhu, this cake looks perfectly baked. I always love your step by step pics..always get the feeling to try seeing them..delicious looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. madhu, thanks for trying the methi muthiya... and thanks for reminding, i will be making it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wooo this looks awesome dear..i can imagine how ur grandpa would be glad cing ur delicious orange cake and that too his fav flavour..happy belated wishes to him..and congrates onur well deserved award..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulation for winning the award.

    Yum cake for grandpa.I can imagine how happy he must have been to cut such a yummy homemade cake that too baked by his grand daughter just for him.

    You are allrounder gurl you make cutters to at home.Need to learn a lot from you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vishali,Thanks for the lovely comment ..

    Mahimaa ,Thanks a lot..You are a fabulous cook..I liked your baked muthiya soo much :)

    Madhu,Thanks so much..Do try someday :)

    Suma,Thanks a lot..He is indeed very much happy about my gesture :)

    Ankita,Thank you!Thats a big appreciation for me..Infact I have to learn so many things from you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pictorial step by step description is very useful dear. Cake looks luscuious and delish with oranges....Belated wishes to Grand pa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cake.. Loved the icing and the candied oranges. Your thatha must have been very happy seeing this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks so gud and your steps are so easy to understand....wonderful post dear

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a beauty! i can almost smell the aroma of orange cake wafting from ur oven! heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful cake madhumathi

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cake looks beautiful, loved the candied oranges too !

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG!! thats such a lovely cake, madhu..soo nice of you to bake it for your grandpa..mustve soo delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats so sweet! Nice effort and a lovely decorated cake! Look at those oranges cooked in syrup... Hmmmm... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Orange cake looks scrumptious! Especially I have an eye on that caramelized candied oranges.. Looks awesome! You have a good collection of recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great Lokking Cake Madhumathi! Your Brinjal Gosthu reminded me of my ammumma's gosthu..that was a lovely sharing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Cake Madhumathi! Your Brinjal gosthu reminded me of my ammumma's gosthu!

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful cake madhu! i had always been away from baking as..my bakery items had always been a big disastor. Some comments were like ...need a hammer to eat this cookie :(.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Madhumathi, thanks for visiting my blog it is great to see you.

    I bet your grandpa was delighted with this cake it looks beautiful.

    I really love candied fruits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Madhu,

    This is my first time here. Your pics are so great, that they made the post look like a live demo!

    Lovely cake, and belated bday wishes to granps!!
    - Sharon
    www.thekeybunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. The cake looks delicious and Many Happy returns to ur Granpa...
    congrats on all ur awards dear.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Birthday wishes to ur gradpa...

    Wow what a cake, man. Looks so inviting. Who wouldnt love it...

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is soooo sweet. I loe orange.. in anything!! This has to be my kinda cake. how i wish i could get some of those candied oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, such a wonderful Cake yaar.. Too much of effort, appreciate it..
    Enjoy ur award.. thank you for thinking of me :)!!

    ReplyDelete