Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tomato Soup!


I have never made tomato soup before.I love tomato soup but I don't know why I haven't tried them at home.Few months ago my 'poet' friend Shravan was bragging about this tomato soup he made .He just praised it so much that I started nagging him for the recipe.He was forgetting to send me the recipe and later I too forgot.Recently when Sanghi announced  FIL event ,his tomato soup flashed my memory and I  asked him to send the recipe.And this time he sent me immediately,and I tried it today.It was just brilliant and I'm going to make this soup atleast once in a week.It tasted incredibly delicious and thats becoz of the secret ingredient in it-MILK.When Shravan sent me the recipe,he mentioned 'Milk is the highlight of the soup..Tastes like god'. And thats 100% percent true,the milk created all the difference!
To accompany the soup ,I made Aparna's cumin flavored whole wheat barley rolls/bread.It was fabulous.I'm new to bread baking.And this is my first successful bread.Instead of making them as rolls ,I made it as a big oval bread.It was soft inside and crusty outside.I toasted the bread slices in butter.Just dunk the bread in the tomato soup and have a bite..its pure indulgence.
Tomato Soup recipe :
I made few changes to his original recipe.I skipped the garlic and included 2 carrots n onion!
You will need :
1/2 Kg tomatoes,chunks
2 carrots,chunks
1 onion,chopped
1 inch piece of ginger,chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 glass of water
1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp corn flour
1 bay leaf
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 clove
salt,pepper n sugar to taste

In pressure cooker,throw the tomatoes,onion,carrot,ginger,cinnamon,bay leaf  n clove.

Pour the water. Bring the water to boil.Add the butter.Give a stir.Cover and cook for 1 whistle.


When the steam went out,carefully open the lid and let it cool for some time.
Remove the cinnamon,bayleaf n clove.Strain  the cooked stuff and reserve the water.Blend to a smooth pulp.

In the same pressure pan,pour the tomato pulp and the reserved water.Add more water if required.Heat the mixture in medium heat.
Add salt,pepper and sugar as per taste.I added 2 tsp of salt,2 tsp of sugar and 1 tablespoon of coarsely ground pepper.

In the 1/2 cup milk,dissolve the corn flour and pour it in the boiling soup.Stir immediately and cook in low heat for a couple of mins.Garnish with cream/herbs.Serve it with croutons!

I'm dedicating this tomato soup to my friend Shravan.He is not only a poet but a great cook too..

This yummy soup goes to Sanghi's Fall in love-Tomato event..Its so kind of her that she extented the deadline until March-31st..


40 comments:

  1. Taste like God!! HeHe!! I bet it does. I add a bit of cream in the end, milk is even better to add even color and smoothness!Great entry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ,Asha..You are so quick :) Is it telepathy ?just now dropped a comment in your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato soup looks divine dear. Nice entry for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum soup....To me soup means Knor or Maggi :) will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty soup, u got a lovely color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite soup..madhu shall i come to ur home today??...ur soup tempting me a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks,viki :)

    Thanks ,sharmilee..I was also like you..But after making the soup from scratch i hate the instant ones.

    Thank,Cham :)

    Priya,Plz do come!I will be honored :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. undoubtedly the best of all soups .. looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..it looks yummy...as u said milk makes magic with soup

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm seeing so much tomato soup in the blogs these days that i can't wait to make a bowl for myself. your version looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enna Madhu ipdi ellam kalakara nee..Looks yummy..Try pannuven nichayama idha...Sari un email id enna?

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks super yummy...addition of milk is new to me !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. tastes like god!! i bet:-) i have never used milk & do use a teensy bit of cream at the end of the process in tomato soups. pretty one...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Madhu..!. Thanks a lot for the dedication.. Keep rocking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmhh looks like its soup season :D...gimme a bowl of it Madhu....lovely color...nice entry..

    ReplyDelete
  16. i will gladly have a bowlful, considering the weather we have here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks perfect & delicious.. nice clicks dear...

    ReplyDelete
  18. that does look like some trouble but am sure its totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I HAVE to try this..:).Kudos to ur friend..:)
    ..I love love the way u add pics..I just need to give a rush through them,to keep it in my head..:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks so refreshing and mouth-watering. Rich color.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soups look creamy and has a nice color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My God,thats a rich soup Madhu..makes hungry..colorful and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow that looks amazing beautiful color

    ReplyDelete
  24. gr888888 click. and the soup looks so good. i will try this out sometime...and will let u knw how it goes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The soup looks yumm. Have tried cream at the end to add to the flavor of the soup, but milk for me is a new addition. Looks gr8

    ReplyDelete
  26. yup, i agree with ur friend that milk is the secreat ingredient behind tomato soup and ur soup looks creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah ha! So that is the secret, the milk. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thats all natural! This is how my mom makes.. Delicious soup!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your wishes! Happy Ugadi to you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wishing you a very Happy Ugadi :)

    Cheers,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  31. Madhu, thanks for stopping by my blog! I really loved your blog at first sight :)
    Just went speechless on the click-wood picture! Great job dear! Will surely visit often! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  32. lovely soup! perfect color! nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nicely Illustrated Madhu..Love the color..when u prepare this next time, just add two beetroot slice's for a great color..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Adding milk always gives rich to tomato soup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Your soup sounds and looks just lovely! And I'm tempted by that Barfi recipe too.

    ReplyDelete